Did you ever hear of the 5 Love Languages? It's based off of the best selling book "The 5 Love Languages" By Dr. Gary Chapman. This book can help strengthen relationships with your spouse/significant other, children, employees and family.
His philosophy of the 5 Love Languages is built off of the premise that different people with different personalities express love in different ways. By understanding which love language everyone on your team reacts best with, allows you to help everyone on your team feel truly valued.
Lets look at the 5 Love Languages:
1. Words of Affirmation - This person uses words to affirm other people.
2. Acts of Service - For these people, actions speak louder than words.
3. Receiving Gifts - For some people, what makes them feel most loved is receiving a gift.
4. Quality Time- This language is all about giving the other person your attention.
5. Physical Touch - To this person, nothing speaks more appropriate touch.
It happens every year, despite my best efforts. I am sure it happens to you, too. I send out the dancers’ placement for the fall and inevitably, there is one parent that loses their grip on reality and shows a side of themselves that is so hideous that I wish I had never seen it!
But wait, before you assume that I just sent out placement emails all willy-nilly, throwing caution to the wind, let me take it back a step.
In January (yes JANUARY) I have 30 minute, one-on-one goals meetings with our company dancers and parent, to discuss the work the student is doing in class, whether they are on track to reach their goals, and what they can be doing to improve. I make it very clear that NOW is the time to be doing the work.
Prior to placement being released, I send a masterpiece of an email (if I may say so myself) to all the dancers, explaining that there are 3 rungs of the ladder in each class, and a dancer must achieve success on each rung before...