Did you ever hear of the 5 Love Languages? It's based off of the best selling book "The 5 Love Languages" By Dr. Gary Chapman. This book can help strengthen relationships with your spouse/significant other, children, employees and family.
His philosophy of the 5 Love Languages is built off of the premise that different people with different personalities express love in different ways. By understanding which love language everyone on your team reacts best with, allows you to help everyone on your team feel truly valued.
Lets look at the 5 Love Languages:
1. Words of Affirmation - This person uses words to affirm other people.
2. Acts of Service - For these people, actions speak louder than words.
3. Receiving Gifts - For some people, what makes them feel most loved is receiving a gift.
4. Quality Time- This language is all about giving the other person your attention.
5. Physical Touch - To this person, nothing speaks more appropriate touch.
Introducing the love languages to your staff
This is a fun way to spice up your staff meeting. Have your staff fill out the questionnaire on the 5 Love Languages, and submit their results to you.
This is very important with how you can relate to your employees. For example; is Susan a words of affirmation person? If she is then you understand that when you positively comment on her teaching skills or choreography, that goes along way! If Becky is a receiving gifts person, maybe a gift card to Starbucks for an awesome win at competition will boost her confidence and feel appreciated!
How much you enjoy your job is not dependent on your personality, what's more important is how each person prefers to be praised and shown appreciation.
Spend the time, connect to your staff and come up with a clear plan to communicate better, more efficient and effectively.
Be the leader your studio deserves and one that everyone will love.
You can take the 5 Love Languages quiz here.